S T O R M C A S T L E P E A K H I K E
State: Southern Montana
Location: 45.441145, -111.223301
Distance: 8km round trip
Elevation Gain: 580 metres
Rising up from the edge of the Gallatin River, Storm Castle was made for the big screen! Brad Pitt is shown casting lines on the water against this familiar limestone mountain backdrop during the final scene of the film in A River Runs Through It.
The trailhead is located about a 30 minute drive from Big Sky Town Centre. This is a great adventure to a stunning peak located atop the east wall of Gallatin Canyon.
A consistent grade and numerous switchbacks makes this a very enjoyable hike, especially in autumn when temps are cooler. If you choose to hit the trail midday in the summer don’t fret! The cool waters of Storm Castle Creek are a stones throw from the parking lot. Pack some icy drinks to enjoy as a little post-hike refresh!
- Pack Sunscreen – A lot of this hike is south facing, allowing you to soak in the feel good rays of the sun throughout your adventure!
- Dogs are permitted off leash along the Storm Castle Peak Trail. Water sources along the trail for your four legged friends are limited.
- This is a popular hike, especially on weekends. Plan to arrive before 7am or hike later in the afternoon, not only to beat the crowds but also the heat.
- As you make your way up towards the peak, more and more side trails start to appear. By staying on the official trail you help to prevent erosion.
- When you arrive at the window (7,165 ft) take a moment to sit inside and take it all in, the views of Storm Castle Creek and the Gallatin Range are a truly beautiful sight!
- The gate to the trailhead is locked until mid-spring for cross-country skiers and snowmobilers. If you are itching to head up before the gate opens, park at the helipad and enjoy an extra 2 miles of hiking!
- Keep an eye out for the fire lookout that rests atop nearby Garnet Mountain. Stay tuned next year for a trip report from us about this hike!
From Big Sky, drive north on Hwy 191 for about 17 miles. Turn right onto Storm Castle Road, stay right at the helipad. Drive about 2 miles until you approach a row of parking stalls on the left side of the road. You will see a Forest Service trailhead sign.
G E A R W E U S E D
E R I C ‘ S H I K I N G K I T
- Resolution Short Sleeve T- Shirt in Scottish Heather Blue by Eddie Bauer
- Mayhem 35L Backpack in Burnt Ochre by Mountainsmith
- Guide Pro Pants in Aged Brass by Eddie Bauer
- Dad Hat by Eddie Bauer
- Suunto Ambit 3 Watch
- Oakley Latch Sunglasses in Prizm Jade
A . V ‘ S H I K I N G K I T
- Trail Tight Leggings in Dk Loden by Eddie Bauer
- Infinity Swing Tank in Dark Smoke by Eddie Bauer
- Graphic Cap by Eddie Bauer
- Norvan LD Trail Shoe in Nightshadow by Arc’teryx
- Alchemist 25/35L Backpack by Eddie Bauer
- Small Round District Sunnies in Brownlynx by Vuarnet
M E T S Ä ‘ S G E A R
– S H A R E T H I S P O S T –
– B Y C L I C K I N G O N A N Y P R O M O –
– right click on any of our promo material to save –