Winter is coming, yes it’s true! No matter though, because as it sets in we love to get in the kitchen and make a freezer full of soups ready for those shorter days and cold air!
We had a great time this weekend on our Tent Ridge Hike and were happy to pull a container of this soup from the freezer to heat up after a long day in the mountains!
We pulled this recipe from our fav cookbook Whitewater Cooks, as after many years of skiing at Nelson BC’s Whitewater resort for the food offered at the day lodge almost as much as for the snow we learned they had their own cookbook!
So here’s the recipe! Enjoy!
What you’ll need ( serves 2-3 hungry gals!):
– 12 fresh tomatoes, quartered + roasted
– 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
– 2 tbsp brown sugar
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 4 cloves garlic
– 3 large onions diced
– 1 1/2 cups sun dried tomatoes chopped
– 2-28oz cans of crushed tomatoes
– 6 cups veggie stock
– 1 cup red wine
-1/4 cup dried basil
– 1 bunch of fresh basil, julienned
– 1/2 cup pesto, store bought is perfect! We used scarpone’s brand
– grana padano cheese for garnish
– Toss the tomatoes + garlic closed with balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and half of the olive oil.
– Roast in a 350F oven for 30-45 minutes, or until the skins begin to shrink and tomatoes brown.
– In a large soup pot, heat the remaining oil and saute the onions until softened + only slightly carmelized.
– Add crushed tomatoes, stock, sun dried tomatoes, and the red wine
– Let simmer for 20 minutes
– Add roasted tomatoes, and garlic cloves (yum!) , dried basil, and boil for five minutes
– Puree in a food processor and add fresh basil + your pesto
– Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with freshly grated grana padano + some sour cream like we did!
– Serve with fresh bread + butter too!
Photos by AV over at North Birch Grove